Hypnotherapy is an effective way of reducing the pain of labour and can help lessen the need for pharmaceuticals. It has also been shown to help reduce the necessity of medical interventions. Hypnosis is one of the only known risk- free pain relievers that really works. This makes it safer for both mother and baby. There is also evidence that it reduces instances of post-natal depression. It is also very useful leading up to the birth as it helps the mother to feel calmer and confident about the approaching birth.
Hypnosis techniques can help to reduce the pain of contractions
By learning a variety of hypnotic techniques, including anesthesia, numbing and deep relaxation can lead to a much more comfortable birth. which can be practiced in anticipation of the baby’s arrival. It helps you to feel more relaxed and calm in the preceding weeks up to the birth. It also increases your confidence, as you practice the techniques you find the most beneficial.
- It has been shown to shorten the first stage of labour sometimes by several hours.
- It increases the opportunity for a natural drug-free birth.
- It helps for a calmer lead up to the birth and can enhance a calmer feeling whilst in labour.
- A more relaxed feeling may have positive effects on the unborn baby.
- It can reduce and sometimes eliminate the necessity for painkillers.
- It can also help with the recovery process.
We usually do 3 sessions leading up to the birth. Helping to prepare mothers on an unconscious level for the birth and the time that follows after. These sessions can be taken at any time in the preceding 3 months of the birth.